[Propertalk] Tidbits for sermons on Jn. 3:1-17, Part 2

Joe Parrish JoeParrish at compuserve.com
Sat Mar 19 22:57:36 EDT 2011

"Being born from above means entering into a relationship in which Someone or Something else is in control."

http://day1.org/898-how_can_these_things_be

Sheila Gustafson, 1996
- - - - -

We are a nation of spiritual seekers. We are hungry to learn about the life of the spilt, although many of us hesitate to translate that hunger into institutional allegiance. The majority of us are "unchurched." Others are drawn to "seekers' churches." Still others are exploring the life of the spirit within a denomination and a tradition.

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=2260

Patricia Farris, 2002
- - - - -

I must ask you, my friend, "Are you a Christian, or are you just religious?" If you take the words of our Lord seriously, there is a great difference between those who are religious and those who are reborn from above. Nicodemus was as lost as the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4). Hell will be populated by many people who are "religious," who have trusted in their religion to save them, rather than trusting in Christ alone. There will be many in hell who trusted in their works to get them to heaven, rather than in His work-the work of our Lord Jesus Christ and the cross of Calvary. He came down from heaven, and He was lifted up on a cross to bear the penalty of your sins and mine. He was raised from the dead and exalted to the right hand of God. He offers to us His righteousness and His life. If you trust in Him, rather than in yourself, you will be reborn from above, and thus you can be assured that you will see the kingdom of God.

http://bible.org/seriespage/jesus-and-nicodemus-john-31-21

Robert Deffinbaugh
- - - - -

Nor should "born again" be reduced to a political shibboleth. A young acquaintance of mine is trying to make it in the political bureaucracy of Washington, D.C. He tells me with only a hint of irony that one way to begin is by getting into an "influential prayer group." The password? "Born again."

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=606

Richard Lischer, 1999
- - - - -

Nicodemus, patron saint of the curious, we see you in the flickering lamplight, your face an arresting mixture of confusion and interest. Jesus waits, the silence broken only by the sound of the wind banging the shutter against the house. You tug at your beard and rethink your life, seeing your past and future through the eyes of the One who loves you. You are dizzy with the possibility of it all. And so are we. Born again? The mere thought of it sweeps through us and sends us reeling. You mean to tell us that our lives might be different?

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=668

Margaret B. Hess, 1997
- - - - -

During an attempted coup in Indonesia in 1965, an estimated 500,000 people were killed. What did not make the headlines was the quiet revolution that began to move into a collapsed intellectual and moral vacuum. The wind of the Spirit blew fresh breezes across a wounded land and people. There was no ballyhoo or promotion by the churches. There was simply the response of untold numbers who found in the churches a haven. Forgiveness and love became the "wine and bread" of acceptance and redemption. Slaves of fear no more. Thousands were able to eucharistically sing, "Abba, Father."

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=2713

Bill O'Brien, 2003
- - - - -

Nicodemus is the first of what we might
loosely call the official clergy with whom Jesus has personal engagement. Yet Nicodemus
does not accept the testimony of Jesus (3:11). Commendable is Nicodemus'
seeking out Jesus, but lamentable his response. For the rest of the conversation,
it is Jesus who speaks while Nicodemus just fades away into the darkness from
which he came. We are left with the feeling that he just doesn't get it.
The fate of Nicodemus is not necessarily unhappy, however. In chapter 7, the
gospel portrays Nicodemus as a defender of Jesus' right to a fair trial (7:50-51); in
chapter 19, Nicodemus helps to bury Jesus with honor. Is this a hint that Nicodemus
has taken Jesus' words to heart? Perhaps his nocturnal discussion with Jesus
was the last hour before the dawn of hope.

http://www2.luthersem.edu/word&world/Archives/18-4_Matthew/18-4_Whitters.pdf

Mark F. Whitters, 1998
- - - - -