[Propertalk] Fwd: [propertalk.topic] Sermon for Proper 14A

Joe Parrish joeparrish at compuserve.com
Sat Aug 9 18:07:56 EDT 2014

Forwarded:

-----Original Message-----
From: Judy <judy_boli at ecunet.org>
To: propertalk.topic <propertalk.topic at ecunet.org>
Sent: Sat, Aug 9, 2014 5:28 pm
Subject: [propertalk.topic] Sermon for Proper 14A

Dear Friends,

This Sunday’s sermon is entitled “Peter Walks on Water” or “Any StormsOut Your Way?” and deals with the Gospel (Matthew 14:22-33).  Here it is:

            The year I graduated from Wayne StateUniversity (1959), I got a summer job teaching swimming at Interlochen SummerArts Camp.  We stood in Lake Michiganmuch of the day and taught.  By the endof each day, I was a cold, exhausted, mess. That must have been how the disciples felt during that storm we heardabout in today’s gospel,

Bringing us all up-to-dateon the episodes we’ve heard so far from the Gospel of Matthew, when Jesus heardof the execution (beheading) of his second cousin John the Baptist, he tried tofind a quiet place were he could grieve and pray.  Last week, we heard how people in thesurrounding area found him, so he had compassion on them, taught, and healedthe sick. When it was too late to send them home hungry, he fed 5,000 men pluswomen and children with only five loaves and two fish, then collected twelvebaskets full of leftovers.  Today’sgospel picks up as Jesus sends his disciples ahead of him across the Sea of Galilee so he can finally get some quiet time withGod.  Now, the Sea of Galilee is only seven miles wide and fourteen miles long, butit is 150 feet deep in some places and vicious storms come up often withoutwarning.  That’s a lot of water to dealwith, especially in the middle of a storm, and that’s what happened.  The disciples struggled all night against thewind and waves just trying to keep their boat afloat, and in the early morning(between three and six A.M.) they saw something.  They saw Jesus walking on the water towardthem, but they thought it was a ghost.  Weheard the rest of the story.  Jesus reassuredthem as he walked toward them on the water that he was no ghost.  Peter responded, “Lord, if it’s really you,tell me to come to you on the water.” Jesus replied, “Come on.”  Peterwas fine at first, but then he lost focus. As he experienced the strength of the wind and the ferocity of thewaves, he began to sink.  “Lord, saveme!” Peter shouted.  Right away, Jesusreached out his hand, grabbed Peter, and helped him into the boat.  At once, the wind died down, the wavesquieted, and the disciples in the boat worshipped Jesus.  That’s what happened.  Now, what’s it to you?

What’s true about the Sea of Galilee is also true of our lives.  Ferocious storms come up, sometimes totallyunexpectedly; and just as wind and waves can swamp a small fishing boat- life’sdifficulties can swamp our lives.  Wecan’t control the storms, but we can control our response to them.  Today’s gospel has four thoughts for doingjust that.

Learn from Jesus.  Be prepared- even Jesus prayedand spent time alone with God.  If Jesusneeded to pray consistently, what about us? Martin Luther said that the busier his day, the more important that hestart it with prayer.  The Rev. Dr. TonyEvans (Urban Alternatives out of California)reminds us, “When you consider the power of prayer, it is no wonder Satan worksovertime to keep us off our knees.”

Learn from Peter.  Risk for the Lord.  Did you notice the thought for the week?  “A ship in harbor is safe, but that is notwhat ships are built for.” (John Shedd)  Don’ttake the easy way.  Live God’s way.  Do the right thing.  Be a person of justice.  Speak up for the Lord.

Learn from the disciples.  Know theenemy.  The disciples knew the sea, andat this point in their lives, the sea was their enemy.  Actually, for thousands of years in manycultures, the seas symbolized chaos, forces opposed to God.  Those same forces of chaos and evil aim todestroy us.  They are the devil’stools.  An old fable tells us aboutthem.  Once upon a time, the devil decidedto go out of business.  And he thought itwise to offer all his tools for sale.  Sohe held an auction.  At the auction, eachtool was described and then sold to the highest bidder.  The tools which were sold that day weremalice, hatred, envy, jealousy, deceit, and so forth.  The tool receiving the highest bid was “discouragement.”  When asked why that went for the highestprice, the devil replied,” Discouragement is the most useful tool in the entireworld.  If I can get a person in adiscouraged, defeatist mood, I can do anything with that person, for faith isquickly lost.  And without faith, courageloses its focus and motivation.”

Finally, once again, learn from Peter: No matter what, stayfocused on Jesus.  Remember, Peter wasdoing fine until he lost his focus and started noticing the fierceness of thestorm.  This principle is easiest to seein sports.  How many games have been lostwhen good players lost their focus and got distracted?  Whatever storms we face, God is incharge.  Jesus triumphs over chaos andevil by walking all over it and proclaiming to the frightened disciples: “Don’tworry.  I AM Jesus.  Don’t be afraid”(Matthew 14:27). In the Bible, “I AM” is the name God calls himself.  No matter what you’re going through, God isin charge.  We know a song about this- wesang it last Sunday.  Let’s sing it again:“Be not afraid, for God is in charge.  Benot afraid, for God is in charge.  Be notafraid, for God is in charge.  I nowrelease, let go, and know that God is in charge.”

For anyone who is interested, this sermon and updatedAfrican-American wisdom statements are posted on our parish’s NEW WEB SITEunder “Sermons & Stuff”. The address is: http://www.stpaulsepisag.org .

Blessed preaching,
Judy Boli
St. Paul's Episcopal Church